St. Patrick’s day is coming up fast and I thought it would be fun to share a unique Irish style cocktail. I found this cocktail in a little book that I picked up at 5 below some years ago. I have gotten a number of really great and traditional recipes (this one is my favorite) out of it, so that 5 bucks was a good investment.
Since Ireland is famous for it’s dairy and whiskey this is the perfect thing to help you celebrate the famously Irish holiday. The drink is referred to as Scailton or Milk Punch.
What I like about this cocktail is that it has a rich flavor with out being loaded down with sugar. Though it definitely makes me think of a White Russian, I have to say that I like this better.
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup Irish whiskey
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- fresh grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Pour the milk and whiskey into a small saucepan. Then whisk in the honey, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Heat the saucepan slowly, while constantly whisking.
- Do not let it come to a boil. A froth will form on the top. Pour into two warm mugs and sprinkle with nutmeg.