The black berries are coming into season around here. I was lucky enough to have a coworker that has more than he can eat and donated a few to our household. These guys are so big and juicy that we couldn’t get enough. Typically I like black berries all on their own, but I thought it would be fun to play around with them and try them in a recipe.
I stumbled on this recipe and new I had to make my own version. I mean pizza is always a great idea in my book, and then you add in basil and fruit and it’s like it was made just for me.
I added this in as an appetizer at our last pizza night with the Shauber’s and it was a hit all around. Not the kind of thing you’d really love as a meal all on its own but it was a fun appetizer that I’m pretty sure everyone enjoyed.
Side Note: It goes really well with a crisp glass of white wine.
- ½ a pizza dough recipe (for a 6 inch pizza)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh blackberries, halved
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll out the dough onto a flowered baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil onto the pizza dough and use a pastry brush to spread it evenly over the pizza.
- Spread half of the black berries evenly over the dough.
- Top the berries with mozzarella, and parmesan cheese until coated evenly. Carefully spoon small dollops of ricotta over the pizza. Top with the remaining black berries.
- Place the pizza in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. The cheese should be melted and bubbly, and the crust golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the basil.
- Serve immediately.