Liven up your typical backed potato with this recipe for Cheesy Grilled Hasselback Potatoes.
I’m really glad to see that my weekly meal plans are such a hit here on the blog. I love creating them and sharing with you guys the style of food that we actually eat every single day. I’ve noticed while trying to put these together that there is a serious lack of side dishes here on the blog so I’ve made it a point to get a few more of our favorite side dishes posted for you.
Hasselback potatoes are one of our favorite side dishes because they are fun! It’s a little different that a normal backed potato, which let’s be honest can get so boring! I’ve never really been a fan of plain baked potatoes. Hasselback potatoes can get crisp edges and soft insides which is something that baked potatoes lack, but they are still just as versatile.
In this recipe I kept it simple with cheddar cheese, but feel free to add any other toppings that you like on a typical baked potato. I know you can get creative here with things like sour cream, chives, bacon, pickles, or salsa. Really the sky is the limit with these babies.
Note 1: I also want to note that while this recipe uses the grill you can also make them easily in the oven. Simply cook them at 400 degrees in the oven for about 55 minute to one hour.
Note 2: Peeling the potatoes is optional. I like them better peeled, but Chuck likes the crisp skin it doesn’t change the instructions either way.
- 4 medium russet potatoes, washed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese
- ½ tablespoon chopped chives for garnish
- Cut each potato into thin slices without cutting all the way through.
- Place the potatoes on a plate and microwave for 3 minutes, rotate and microwave again for 3 minutes. Place each potato on a piece of foil large enough to enclose the potato.
- Melt the butter and combine it with the garlic, salt and pepper. Use a brush to coat each potato evenly.
- Fold the sides of the foil up to create a pouch and place each potato on a preheated grill. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Carefully remove from the grill and open the foil packets. Sprinkle the top with cheese and place back on the grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
What are your favorite side dish recipes? I would really love to try some new ones!!