I have a pretty huge obsession with barbeque, I mean who wouldn’t? It’s saucy, for one you can change it up however you like, a little sweeter, a bit more of a vinegar bite, or bring on the heat. Plus it’s super versatile. I mean you don’t just have to use it in conjunction with the grill. I have slathered it on grilled cheese, and even baked with it.
This time around I wanted to lighten it up with salad. I love salad, but Chuck isn’t as sold as I am on the stuff, and prefers somethingheartier, so most of the time our salads are pretty loaded down (example 1, 2, & 3) with an abundance of vegetables, cheeses, croutons, and meat sides, remember it’s all about compromise.
it is nothing new to you guys after all, the concept is pretty basic. It’s getting the ratios down that takes time. I think I finally have it; the perfect balance of ingredients.
I personally think it’s so well balanced that dressing isn’t even necessary. There are so many flavorful, creamy components that it would be just overkill. However I know not everyone feels that way, so a light drizzle of olive oil might be in order.
Barbecue Grilled Chicken Salad
Serves: Serves 4
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¾ cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 avocado, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Trim the chicken of fat and place in a covered bowl with about barbecue sauce to marinade, at least half an hour.
- Cook on a preheated grill for 4-5 minutes a side, or until the juices run clear, basting with sauce regularly.
- Meanwhile toss all vegetables together in a large bowl and top with avocado and blue cheese.
- When the chicken is done, and cooled cut it into bite size pieces and top the salad.
- Serve immediately with your choice of dressings.