If you have been around here for a while you may notice a recipe that keeps popping up when I talk about eating clean eating, it’s my Southwest Meatball Skillet. I originally got the recipe from Clean Eating Magazine, and over the years have developed it to a tried and true recipe that we love and eat often.
One of the reasons that I believe this recipe is so loved is because it’s so easy. It’s cooked together in one pan, in less than 30 minutes, and provides a complete meal. If you have to stretch then it’s easy enough to add rice, bread or a salad to it. In fact leftovers are great over mixed greens with a little Catalina dressing (in my opinion). It is healthy, and follows the clean eating guidelines. It’s also the meatballs; obviously the meatballs, because they are something that everyone seems to love.
I started recently to brainstorm some of my other favorite meals and how I could turn them into a meatball skillet kind of meal and I came up with a few great ideas. Chicken Parmesan Meatballs, and Salisbury SteakMeatballs to name a few. This time I went with an Asian inspired dish.
These meatballs are made with lean ground chicken, garlic, ginger, and a dash of soy sauce for a dynamic flavor. The sauce is a simple homemade teriyaki sauce that uses honey instead of sugar, and to keep it quick and easy I used frozen Asian mixed vegetables. The result was pretty magnificent if I do say so myself. I love how the texture of the meatballs contrasts with the crispness of the vegetables. I also love the sweet and tangy flavor of the sauce and the way it lends itself so easily to the chicken meatballs.
Chicken Teriyaki Meatball Skillet
Serves: 4 servings
- I lb lean ground chicken
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (16 oz package) frozen Asian style mixed vegetables
- In a large bowl combine the ground chicken, bread crumbs, egg white, garlic powder, and ginger, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, salt and pepper and mix well. Using your hands from the meat mixture into 2 to 2 ½ inch sized balls.
- In a small bowl combine he cornstarch, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger and water, whisking until well blended and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and cook the meatballs, rolling them in the pan to retain their shape while cooking. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the meatballs are well browned.
- Add the sauce to the pan and bring it to a simmer. Cook stirring regularly until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the pan, tossing to coat and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until they are warmed. Serve immediately.
Also check out MyKingCook.com’s Post on making meatballs.